Tuesday, January 24, 2012

After a chaotic, complicated, and overstimulated shift that began at 5:15 this morning, I sat and chatted with a wonderful friend for a few minutes. After our goodbyes, I put on my coat and walked to my car a few blocks away. I ruffled through my purse trying to find a light for my cigarette (I promise, Mom, I'm going to quit!) and began to comb through my pockets. In my closed fists I found a quarter, a receipt, a lighter, and a hand-written note that sent chills down my spine. 
It wasn't the unexpected surprise, nor was it the literal words that affected me so deeply; it was simply the fact someone believed in me so much to tell me how they felt. 

So, let me tell you how I feel...

Insecurities take a hold of us, and sometimes, they stop at nothing to defeat our courage. We're born with an incredible desire to explore and to learn, but as we get older, our curiosity is replaced with fear.
What we want is overrun by what we don't want. 
What we hope for is destroyed by what could possibly destroy us
We live in the margins, and in our safe zones, without ever peeking around the corner to see what lies ahead.
We're afraid of what can be, and live our lives by what we're told life is. 
We live with so much potential bursting at the seams of our spirit, and settle with a only peep from our discouraged soul.
 
But, despite all of that, I want to share with you the incredible feeling I felt today. It wasn't a self-centered, narcissistic, or optimistic feeling, it was a humble feeling of fulfillment. 
I want you to understand that YOU have the ability and the opportunity to change your life and to be the person you really are and really want to be. YOU can change what you want, if you want it. The person you strive to be is needed by the people around you, and whether you like it or not, you are an influence on the world surrounding you.

Remember that.

Here's the note from Sara Meyer, the amazing lady who lives as an inspiration to all. 


Thank you, Sara. Coming from you, it's the biggest compliment I could have received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment