Thursday, July 7, 2011

nothing in life is to be feared. it is only to be understood.

Carl jung once said, "The foundation of all mental illness is the avoidance of legitimate suffering.
The problems you have are simply due to the suffering you will not accept. Anxiety, for me, only exists in my life because of my avoidance of the problems i have, that i fear. 
Andrew Cohen says the ultimate form of spiritual practice is to "Face everything and avoid nothing". 
I reflected on my life and all the things I avoid out of fear: being unliked, being alone, not having anything to be proud of, having nothing to show for myself... are a few examples, but when i really follow the string into my fears, i realize there is simply nothing to be afraid of. 
Our whole lives we're taught to be fearful and cautious, and in some ways, those lessons are legitimate. but how can we ever experience life while clinging to the ideas we are afraid of? I've been deeply inspired by those who understand that this life you are living will only become yours if you decide to claim it. and by claiming your life, you replace of all the insecurities, doubts, fears, and pain that have been in the way since the beginning. 
i'm tired of acting as if i'll accomplish goals when i'm ready, because the only thing that's stopping me are my excuses. No longer will i let fear control me, or the decisions i make. 

You and i have nothing to fear, i promise.

Let's follow this advice, starting today: 









No comments:

Post a Comment