Monday, October 17, 2011

restoring your spirit (without jumping off a mountain)


Katie Morton from Howstuffworks.com made a list of 137 amazing ways to pamper yourself, lift your
spirits, or recharge your life.  (here's the link: 137 ways to recharge yourself).

Lists like Katie's always seem to pep me up, and motivate me by making my life feel full of potential. But, sometimes, I end up just feeling more stuck in my frustrations or anxiety because of my own limitations, whether it's time, money, or just the simple lack of energy. I couldn't just drop everything and go on a road trip like she suggests, and I sure as hell don't have enough time to learn a new language. Sure, every item she mentions sounds wonderful in theory, but it's difficult to do in reality.

However, when I was reading her list, as random as it seemed, I realized they all had one thing in common. From framing a photo to bungee jumping, each idea was centered around getting your mind off the things that are upsetting you. I, of course, over analyzed her simple suggestions for impossible adventures that require the mere characteristics I lack, which was why I came across her suggestions in the first place. I overlooked the simplicity of just letting go, if even for a moment, and engaging your senses into something somewhat stimulating.

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross sums up what my (over-explained) point: There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub.

Here's a list of things I've been doing that, if even for a moment, have calmed me and recharged me for the rest of the day:


  • Taking a super deep breath. Sounds simple at first, but once you realized you're a high-strung, panic-stricken, short-breathed, need-to-chill-out kinda person (like me), you'll appreciate this.
  • Taking a long shower, or even just washing your face with cold water. This always shocks my senses and makes me feel better.
  • Calling my mom. She always makes me laugh, and makes me feel like my problems are valid, but helps me find a solution to my troubles.
  • Laughing. Youtube surprise kitty, watch comedy central, or watch a hilarious tv show. I never feel awful after laughing my ass off. 
  • Stopping by Java. (or any other place you're familiar with). I love seeing people who are glad to see me, and the delicious coffee doesn't hurt, either
.

  • Being grateful. This is the most important lesson I've realized in my life. When you start feeling like life is too much, or you're overwhelmed with it all, stop everything you're doing and realize what a fantastic life you live and recognize all the great people and circumstances around you.
  • Compliment yourself. Build yourself up. tell yourself how wonderful life is and what a rad, cool, great, awesome person you are. I know it sounds cheesy, but if you can't find things about yourself that you love- how will anybody else? Look in the mirror and just appreciate who you are, what you do, and why you do it. 
Pinned Image




No comments:

Post a Comment