Friday, May 25, 2012

Graduation: a different kind of journey.


There is no denying it, May 12, 2012 was one of the happiest days of my entire life. 
As I put myself back into the chair that stared up into the stands, I feel the same feeling in the pit of my stomach that I did that day.
However, my graduation ceremony wasn't what filled me with an overwhelming sense of gratitude and love, and it wasn't the awesome speech Fenton gave that inspired every single person that heard it...

I felt as though the last 5 years, packed with inspiration, all-nighters, tears of frustration, and sighs of relief, all taught me one thing: it's not the goal but the lessons you learn while trying to reach it that makes your aspirations so valuable. I've been told before that "it's not about the destination but the journey", but I never deeply knew what that meant until I crossed the stage. The best grades and the worst nights and all the times I was going to give up are what gave my graduation meaning.

There's no coincidence that the person who has taught me everything I know about integrity, discipline, and strength was by my side that day. I love you Blakers, you are the greatest man I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment